Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Finding Caren


My Mom once gave me an embroidered pillow that said
"Dreams have no expiration date"
 
I graduated from high school in 2004 and had every intention on going to college.
By the time it was fall and class registration was happening, I rushed to the college to sign up for classes but there was so much that I didn't do to prepare, that I decided to hold off until the following semester.
And I put it off again.
 
And again.
I got pregnant with my beautiful little boy by the time I was 20 and gave birth to him when I was 21 yrs old.
I worked full time at a call center and through that job I provided health insurance for my family.
The call center closed and I was laid off from my job in 2010 when I was 8 months pregnant with my 2nd child.
My beautiful daughter was born.
We struggled with medical debt after that and so between having two children, an extremely tight budget, and a part time job that eventually occurred, I couldn't justify going to school.
I've spent the last few years of my life raising two beautiful children,
finding my creativity in knitting,
finding my playfulness in hula hooping,
and working part time jobs that have allowed me stay home and invest into my family.
I have been so incredibly blessed and still am.
But I'm in a different place in my life.
I'm in a place in my life where I have realized that there will never be a convenient time in my life for an education and with that frame of mind I've pursued schooling with the help and support of my friends and family.
 
 

I am currently in school to become a Certified Nursing Assistant!
 
 
There are so many different perspectives on this particular job.
I've heard the term "professional butt wiper" a few times and I'm fine with that.
It is what it is but there is so much more to it.
It's care giving to people who are in ways incapable of doing basic, every day things for themselves.
And it's not just assisting in the every day things but It's also encouraging and promoting people to maintain their independence in a time that they may feel their most dependent.
It's supporting an individual in a time of change.
It's about being a persons advocate.
It's about loving that person where they are at in their life and making it as easy and enjoyable as possible.
It's about being their companion and showing them that they are more than just a job but are also a person with value.
Not old.
Not disabled.
Not incapable.
But a person worth caring about.
A person worth my respect.
A person worth my time to help them do the things to maintain a quality of life.
 

It's been said that we have been called to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
To serve.
Even those that seem to be unlovely, unloving, and unlovable.
(Don't we all have that capability? You should see how grumpy I am before my first cup of coffee in the morning.)

 I guess you can say that I've taken that quite literal.
I'll be the legs and feet, and arms and hands for those who struggle to use theirs on a daily basis.
At times I may be their ears and their voice.
I'll be one of the most consistent and supportive persons in their life.
And there are many out there that are and will be the same.

There is such high demand for this profession and unfortunately CNA's are moving on just as fast as they are coming in.
BUT
I'm going to give this my all and I pray that this will be a stepping stone in the medical field for further progression. 

 
So far I've completed 4 weeks of schooling and will be doing my clinicals soon.
We'll be going into an assisted living home, nursing home, and possibly a hospital where we can use the skills we have learned and get some experience under our belts.
I'm hoping to get into the Alzheimer's unit at the nursing home but am still uncertain where I'd like to work.
 
Please be in prayer with me.
Please pray that God's directive is clear in where he wants to place me in this career.
There are so many opportunities and I trust that he will put me exactly where I need to be. 
 
I hope you all are enjoying your week so far!
Be blessed!
 
-C

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Caren!!! My sister is a CNA at an assisted living home and she loves it. Have missed seeing your posts on facebook and am glad to see how awesome you're doing. Congrats on your new adventure! We will be up there in November. Would love to get together with you. -Shauna

    ReplyDelete