Saturday, October 26, 2013

When life hands you lemons... kick it in the nuts.


 
I don't know what it has been about this week.
It was one of those weeks where everything was planned back to back and any time I had to just sit and relax was spent on the phone or computer for work.
I've found that even in the time I think I can get a little mid afternoon snoozer in, my mind is racing through the things I should be doing and I can't relax, so I just keep on doing.
Even on the slower days I can't seem to shake the feeling of being overwhelmed, spread thin, and pre-occupied.
 
I spent the night last night watching Benny and Joon and finishing up my sister's birthday present while David and the kids slept.
It was quiet.
It was calm.
It was a much needed break.
I felt my heart rate slow down, the knots in my stomach melt, and my mind focus on something other than the chaos from the week.

Life can be hectic.
Sometimes life can be down right messy.
It can be unpredictable and scary and at times darn near impossible to live...
BUT
It's beautiful.

Somewhere mixed in the craziness are millions of blessings.

Brodey telling me that he plans on naming his kids after each of the Wiggles, when he grows up.
Saiya stopping to tell me she loves me randomly throughout the day.
The pot of coffee that my husband makes for me in the mornings before he leaves for work because he knows I'm going to need it.
Watching the kids play house together as they swing, feed, and care for Saiya's babydolls.
Seeing Brodey's toy hamsters lined up right under the television after I've returned home from dropping him off at school.
Sleeping under my favorite quilts.
My cat LaLa climbing her way under the covers and curling up at the back of my legs.
My cat Jemma curling around my neck.
My cat Steve.... well... I'm sure there's a blessing somewhere with her when she isn't eating and puking up things she shouldn't be eating.. like scotch tape..... and ribbon.
Soft yarn to make endless creations.
Reading books to my kiddos instead of watching tv before bedtime.
Having a live-in knitting partner (ahem.. a man...that I'm married to.  Hell totally must have froze over) to watch a couple of episodes of Bones with at night.
Random text messages from friends that found a funny picture and thought of me to share it with.
Play dates with my sister and nephew, accompanied by coffee for us moms.
Running errands with my mom just for the sake of being together.
Old forgotten movies on Netflix.
Learning new things in the areas that I'm passionate about.
Hugs from residents at my first week of clinicals in Assisted Living.
Text messaging my Grandma. (She's in her 80's and text messages. I think that's pretty badawesome)
Looking around my home and seeing my walls covered in memories and those I love.

How about...
The fact that I have a cozy home that keeps us warm and dry.
The fact that we don't struggle with chronic illness or pain.
The fact that we have food in our bellies every single day.
The fact that we have clothes and shoes that fit and are in great condition.

I sit back and I look at my life compared to others and I really don't have it that bad.
I'm tremendously blessed...

I know the truth.
The truth is that I am one blessed lady.

Finances have been a struggle because of an inner company position change that my husband took and medical bills that we've been working to pay off that just so happened to have payment land in the same week.  And here I am planning on how to play catch up.

My Property Management job had me stressed more than I think I have ever been with it.
 
So many things to do and not enough time to do them.
So many deadlines. 

One of my closest friend's sons started chemo this week in preparation for a bone marrow transplant in hopes to save his life from an autoimmune disease that he's suffered from since he was an infant.
Read her story here: Amandaandthehendersons.blogspot.com
My heart has been heavy.
I've been praying like crazy.
And I (as well as thousands of people) are continuing to hope that he'll come out on the other end healthy and healed.
(my stress really feels like nothing compared to my friend's)


And yet I am still reminded that a grateful heart is a joyful heart.
Even in the times I don't feel like being grateful...
Even in the times when I really don't feel joyful...
I know that no good comes from self-entitlement and being self absorbed in how I think things should be going.
 
"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."
Psalm 126:3
 
"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Give thanks to the Lord for he is good; His faithful love endures forever."
1 Chronicles 16:24

I'm thinking it's time I chill and refocus.
Time to handover to God the things that I can't control, ask him to provide me with the discernment and guidance on the things I can control, and to continuously pray and give him praise.
Be in prayer.
Trust in God.
And
Be thankful.
 
God, I thank you for your faithfulness.
I thank you for your always working hands,
for your never ending patience with me,
and your overflowing love.
I love you.
 

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment