Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Here fishy fishy....

I've lived in Wyoming my entire life
But it wasn't until 2 years ago that I caught my first fish.
My husband grew up fishing and so a fishing pole to him is like an extra limb that may as well have been attached while in his mothers womb.
For me... not so much.
Though I can thread my own worm on my hook,
Do a fisherman's knot,
cast out quite a ways,
and
reel in a fish without snapping my line...
A fishing pole feels a little awkward to me.
I have hooked myself,
My fishing line gets fairly tangled,
I fumble as I handle and prepare my pole,
and I have not a clue about what piece of tackle is used for what kind of water and what fish.
I will pick my tackle based on what is the prettiest... not what is more conducive to our fishing conditions. (Good thing I have David to keep me level headed there.)
But this last weekend I had a miraculous thing happen...
I CAUGHT 3 FISH!

The fish above is quite little and wouldn't usually have been kept but it died before release. So, we kept it and it found a nice new home in our tummies.
These two I caught within probably 45 mins of each other.
They too were meal destined.
I was pretty proud of myself!

But of course while I fished I thought of knitting.
And I didn't just think of knitting... I thought of a pattern that I came across a couple years ago and contemplated making it for David's birthday next month.
I showed him a picture of it at some point and he actually thought it was pretty cool and so I know it would be a safe thing to make for him.
It would be even more fun if I made one for me and the kids too... kind of like being our own school of fish. :)

This hat actually has its own website.
http://www.deadfishhat.com/
The website provides patterns, tips, pics, and has a little blog that goes with it too.
I read something on there last night about a GIANT fish hat that they had made at a Local Yarn Shop with a cast on of 500 stitches on size 11 needles.
And it looks like they have a scarf that goes with the dead fish hat too.
I'd probably do one or the other.
Both just seem to be a little too much for me personally but who's to say it won't be perfect for someone else!
Who knows?
Maybe I'll just make both for David and leave it up to him to determine if he needs to be covered in "dead fish". :)

I hope you all had an amazing Independence Day!!
Mine was full of good friends, my family, bbq, and fireworks.
Perfect end to a three day weekend.

Love you all!



Caren


Psalm 139:13-14


No comments:

Post a Comment