Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughtfulness and Celebration

Just to warn you...
If we are friends on facebook you have probably already seen 3/4 of these pictures! :)

Valentines day was just another day.
It's not like how it use to be when I was younger.
I remember waiting for the day in Junior High just so I could see who I was compatible with out of my classmates through this thing called "data match".
Then in High School it seemed like a competition of who got the what from their boyfriend or girlfriend.
Valentines day was always a nice excuse to dress up, be romantic, indulge in sweets, and enjoy flowers, and hug onto stuffed animals.
Now that I have kids.... the holiday is more focused on them and making it special like how it was made special by my mom when I was growing up.
They both got a heart shaped box of chocolates just like how my mom STILL does!
David though... He did something super thoughtful this year.
He made me this...

While in California for a few days over the summer, David and I had the opportunity to go to a beach. We played in the water fully clothed, took funny pictures with the seaweed, and of course combed the beach for cool seashells and rocks.
I found the perfect stone and thought it would make an excellent pendant for a necklace and worked extra hard to find another one like it so we could both have one.
We packed them up in a baggy and took them home but sadly had not been made into anything.
Well, David made me my necklace complete with romantic initial carving and awesome wire wrap job on the stone.
He clearly put a lot of work into it and I'd have to say that it is by far one of my most favorite gifts from him.
Homemade gifts are the BEST!

Speaking of homemade gifts I did manage to knit Brodey is Wiggles Scarf for his birthday!
I also knit a smaller version of it for his new stuffed bear.
Honestly he was not thrilled when he opened it and his lack of enthusiasm was slightly disappointing seeming as how I'd spent hours knitting this for him but over the past couple days he has been spotting playing with it.
When he gets older I think he will really come to appreciate this but for now its just another thing he owns and will occasionally pull out to play with.
I'm okay with that.

I stayed up super late the night before and wrapped all this.
I know it doesn't look like much but its hard work for me and I'm not awesome at it but I am trying harder now.
Someone once told me that how you feel about the gift you are giving is reflected by how it is wrapped. Makes sense I guess.

So after Brodey tore through all of his gifts and got balloon shopping done with...
we went bowling!
Had a ton of fun with friends and family and Brodey could not have been happier as he welcomed those who came just for him.
He knew the day was about him and I made sure he knew just how big of a blessing he is to us all. He hugged me as I told him just how special he is and how I am so lucky to have him as my son.
We bowled, laughed, ate cake, and celebrated the gift of Brodey Lee Williams. <3
i LOVE him.

After bowling...
POTTERY BY YOU!


He had never painted there before.
I painted all the time there when I was pregnant with him and brought him with me a lot when he was a baby.
This kid pretty much grew up there his first 3 years and over the past couple years I'd cut back on the painting and focused mostly on the knitting.
I thought it was time to break him into one of mom's favorite things to do.
He painted a car and called it "The Wiggles Big Red Car" though it was a mix of color (4 colors in particular) and reminded me a lot of tie-dye.
I did manage to write on it for him like he had requested.
A Wiggles car would not be complete without his name and a giant number five on the top to mark his 5th birthday!

It was a busy day.
It was a blessed day.
It was a Brodey day.

I love that little boy so much more than I think I could ever express.
There is no love like the love between a mother and her child and
I had no idea just how strong that love was until i held him for the first time.
What a blessing he is to me and our family.
So glad we were able to celebrate the little twerp!

I may or may not have exciting news in the near future in regards to my knitting.
It will have to wait for next weeks post being that things are uncertain and undecided at this point.
Either way it's pretty cool!

Hope you all are doing well!

Blessings,
Caren

No comments:

Post a Comment