Monday, December 2, 2013

Post Thanksgiving Recovery

I am officially over my turkey and black Friday hangover.
Thanksgiving in my family never disappoints.
I have always felt sad for the people that have looked at holidays as an obligation to spend time with the family.
I know family circumstances vary by the person, which is why I am so thankful that I actually enjoy mine.
I have a family of tradition and I am a total sucker for just that.
 
The ladies of the family :)
We went to my sister's home for thanksgiving dinner which is really more of a lunch than anything, but is so big and filling that it makes up for two meals.
We all contributed with sides and salads so then that way not one person was burdened with the pressure of having to slave away on the entire meal.
The adults gathered in the kitchen to prepare plates for the kids while they ran around.
A prayer was said and we all dug in.
A movie was watched afterwards and as the kids played and snuggled on the couch, us ladies of the family sat down on the floor with the black Friday ads.
We do this every year.
Plan for our shopping adventure and determine what stores we want to hit up first and what items we want to purchase.
We topped the evening off with pie and after chasing the kids around and pinning them down to the floor for some tickling, we headed home.
 
Now I enjoy my black Friday shopping but there is no way that I will go on Thanksgiving day.
I just think it is so wrong for many reasons.
I went one night at midnight a couple years back and I will NEVER do that again.
5 am shopping is fine by me and usually the stores have back stock of some items so we aren't at a complete loss.
I did however convince my husband to go out later Thanksgiving night to get a couple of electronic items for the kids, which I was super appreciative of.
 
Starbucks breakfast mid shop
My sister picked me and my mom up from our homes at 5 am.
I was able to get Christmas shopping done for the kids after visiting 3 stores and was home by 9:45 so David could go in for work. 
Usually I'm out till mid afternoon and visit twice as many stores but this year I was on a time crunch.
I was exhausted and nap time could not come soon enough.
I seriously spent all weekend trying to catch up but "Dexter" on Netflix makes it very difficult to get to bed at a decent hour despite how tired I am.
 
Does anyone else consider Thanksgiving a two day event?
1 day of food. 1 day of shopping.
 
Christmas is right around the corner and I've been preparing for that.
Though I have my shopping out of the way, I still have quite a bit of knitting to get done.
 
Last nights view. Yes that's High School Musical on the t.v. Don't judge me.
I am progressively getting it done and am feeling pretty confident that I will get it all done before I hit too close to the wire.
I do have my decorating done though!
 
 
I've done more than just pictured but it can be tricky taking pictures of all the gold garland and Christmas lights that I have wrapped around the exposed piping in our apartment, and especially with my camera phone.
Stockings hare hung, Santa's cookie plate is out, and our Elf on the Shelf will be arriving tonight.
A little late, I know, but the kids know that Patrick is a very busy elf.
 
Kids did get in on some of the decorating action though.
 
Needless to say, It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. :)
I'm totally OK with that.
There is just something about Christmas that is magical.
Maybe its the lights strung throughout Conwell park, across from the hospital.
Maybe it's the lights, wreaths, and greetings sprawled throughout downtown and our mall.
Maybe it's family.
Maybe its the music.
I have no doubt that it all plays a huge part...
but there is just something about celebrating the birth of our savior that touches me in a way that I can't quite explain.
 
His birth was the start of our salvation and freedom from condemnation.
It all started with this tiny baby...
As tiny as my own children once were...
"Mary Did You Know?"
is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs for this very reason.
I can't even imagine...
From a Mother's perspective it is quite overwhelming.
God, I am just so thankful.
 
<3
On a less serious note....

I did pass my CNA course!
All that's left to do is schedule my state boards so I become certified.
Technically I could start working now in nursing homes as a nursing assistant and would have 120 days to get licensed, but I'm holding out on work until I become certified. 
The place I'd like to apply at only hires those that are certified and I don't want to settle and work someplace that I really don't want to just for the sake of working.
Not to mention, I'd really like to enjoy my holidays without the pressure of a work schedule.
I'm hoping to get my paperwork turned in with the next paycheck because there is at least $200 that has to be sent in with applications and I'd really like to get my test scheduled.
Kind of hard to throw that out with the holiday season but will be worth it in the long run.
Not to mention that my mom is currently in the same CNA program that I went through and we are hoping to test together. :)
Pretty friggin cool!!!
 
I guess I should tend to the job I do have.
Between potty training my daughter and property management,
I've got my day cut out for me.

I pray your week is a blessed one and that your holiday was spectacular!
 
-C
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment