Saturday, December 21, 2013

Traditions

If you know me well then you know that I am usually knitting for my family right up to Christmas Eve.  Usually up to an hour or two before we get together with family. However I am ahead of schedule and it feels awesome!  


I even have time to knit Brodey and Saiya Christmas ornaments this year which will be the first ever.   I usually go to a cool little place here in town to paint them one and have done it every year since Brodeys first Christmas.  

I decided that the tradition is not just limited to pottery but in general, is the simple gift from mother to child.  Another ornament, made special by mom to hang on the tree.  And when they grow up and have their own tree, they will have some of their mothers love hanging off of it.  

We don't have many traditions in this family but the ones we do have fill my heart with total joy.  Not just because they are "fun" but because they come from the love of our family and celebrating it.  

-Ornaments from me to the kids
-Truck stop Christmas meal
-A new pair of pajamas and stuffed animal. (From my childhood)
-Christmas Eve with my family (always)
-The Dockweiler family singing Christmas carols at my sisters front door.
-A coffee mug of my God child every year.
-Lefse with butter and sugar
-Spending the majority of Christmas Day in pajamas and playing with new toys while watching movies.
-Driving around to look at Christmas lights. (Also did this as a child)
-The Chipmunks Christmas carols. (Again, from my childhood) 
-Elf on the shelf


It will be fun to see what traditions my kids will carry on and what ones they develop on their own. 

If you haven't noticed by now I am quite sentimental :) 

Well, back to knitting!

I pray that your Christmas is a blessed one.  May you find joy in the gift of our Savior and hope for the New Year.

-Caren




No comments:

Post a Comment